Translate

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Summer Character Design Project

Over summer I got given a project to do that was based on misanthropes. I had to design three characters that would be misanthropes. To get a better idea of what a misanthrope was I looked up the definition. This is what I found:
" One who hates or mistrusts humankind"
" A person who dislikes or distrusts other people or mankind in general."

I also looked further at misanthrope characters in books such as Ender's Game, the five people you meet in heaven and The Sinner.

I also watched a number of Tim Burton's films such as Corpse bride, Edward scissor hands, 9, Beetlejuice. I also looked into Paranorman, Frankenstein and Elephant man.

Character One

In my head I wanted my first character to be a defenceless woodland creature who ends up being able to look after its self after years of being on its own.
I wanted him/her to be from a different planet so looked into subjects that would be seen as unusual. The subjects that caught my attention were Heterochromia and duplex pupula.
Since I wanted my creature to be from a different planet I looked into subjects that people would ordinarily find odd and disturbing such as duplex pupula, limbs being too small or large to fit their body, people covered in hair. I like the idea of a creature having two pupils or different coloured eyes best.
Here are some images I found of Heterochromia: 










Due to me looking into Heterochromia I ended up looking at Duplex pupula:







I looked at certain forest animals I might want my character to look a little bit like or have features from them.
A weasel
 Racoon
 Chipmunk 
 A Panda fox
 A fox

After a bit of research I decided to come up with my Character description and got designing my character.


Originally I wanted my character to be a female but then it ended up being changed to a male as I liked how the male could be vulnerable rather than a typical female being vulnerable.


My final completed Character design.


I also did walk cycles for this character but they are very rough and only outlines as I did them in a few hours.

For some reason my front walk cycle looks like a cowboy walk.









Character two

I decided to design a character that lives on the same planet as my first character but is not there by choice. I wanted the character to be able to blend in with certain surroundings but was not sure how to design my character at first so I looked at a few plants and images then did a few sketches.
Here are some of the plants and images I decided to look at. They are mostly carnivorous plants :











I decided to do a few sketches and midway through sketching up ideas I decided that I wanted to make my character into a woman as my other sketches did not really look interesting enough to me. So I looked at a few characters from the internet and looked at some bark to add effect.




Here are a few sketches I did to get a few ideas of how I wanted my character to be:


My final character design.



Character three

For my third character I did not really do any research, I just sketched from an idea I had in my head so here are a few sketches:

Final Character design.




No comments:

Post a Comment