Translate

Sunday 14 October 2012

Character Animation: Research

So i have to research the emotion i have been given showing how it can be displayed through body language ranging from children, to teenagers, to adults and the elderly as well as men and women and how people react differently. Also include some life experiences on how i may have reacted to this certain emotion. I will be including clips from films, photos and songs relating to this emotion so there may just be some interesting research, let's see.

The Emotion i have been given is HOPE.

Definition of hope:  A feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.

Hope describes a feeling of optimism or desire that something will happen, what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best. To believe, desire, to place trust; rely. 

Hope reminds us to always look for good that can be found. Life is always changing. Often situations that first seem bad turn out to be good in some way. All situations give us opportunities to practice and learn more about compassion, wisdom and courage.

It has been identified as a character strength. The hope construct represents a focus on significant future aims. That ones goals are able to be achieved with time. 

I can only think of a few ways that hope may be displayed through body language in an obvious way. Crossed fingers is one that starts in childhood. I remember as a child wanting something good to happen for the future and my parents would say "well then cross your finger's and hope for the best". It was a way to convince myself that something good would actually happen. I still cross my fingers now without realising, it seems to have been drilled into my memory for times when i really want things to go well.

Praying is a sign of hope and faith although not everyone that prays is religious. I am more of a seeing is believing kind of person myself but still catch myself from time to time praying on hard times that things will turn around and get better.



When i got given the word the first thing that popped into my head was the song Hope by Twista. The lyrics talk about how people have fallen on hard times but still have hope and prey times will get better.


The music video also reminded me of a film i watched a couple of years ago called Coach Carter.  


Coach carter believes that the young men can accomplish the task he has set out for them but they have to want to work with him. In certain parts of the film you can see the hopeful moments when his eyes widen and he clenches his fists stood up straight as if he is almost on his toes watching in anticipation to see whether the ball will reach the hoop. 


I think one of my all time favourite inspirational speeches is the one from The Great Dictator. The Hope and Humanity Charlie Chaplin speech.


Throughout the speech Chaplin's expression changes. At first he looks distant as if he is focusing and thinking hard about what he is going to say then changes so that it is as if Chaplin is looking straight into your soul, you can see the hope in his eyes, he is filled full of raw emotion. He appears to be saddened and feels the words that pour out filling other peoples minds, making them think. He uses his facial expressions, arms and hands to express himself and his words. His body starts to jerk as he becomes more entangled in his speech. Running his hand through his hair as a reaction to the crowd.

Hope can come in the form of faith and religion, to be able to believe in something that you can not see and do not know but you believe it to be true as you could not imagine or would not want to imagine the worst scenario as you may not be able to carry on. Hope is a mindset that you control, each person has hopes and dreams no matter how big or small.


 A good example of how hope can be displayed through faith and religion is a film called The hurricane. There is a certain part of the film where Rubin is explaining to Lesra that he thinks it is no accident they met. His body language is firm and serious yet he expresses joy.


I have talked to quite a few different people asking them about their views on hope.

Gillian, who is in her 40s said:
"Hope means I can carry on to never give up, hope is in my childrens eyes .. I hope they get everything out of life.. I hope I get better.. When I was poorly last year hope was all I had.. To show this in body language I guess is hard but I would imagine it would be with a smile"

Martin, aged 20 said:
"Hope is said to be a feeling, but it is a mindset, it is a lot like faith only with faith you control it. Hope also makes most peoples life decisions without them realising it. It can make people both happy and sad. Hope is pretty hard to put into words which is why it has it's own word and has been named. If i was to express hope through body language it would be raising my arms into the air just reaching up. Everyone hopes, maybe for similar things. I hope to do well in exams, that it is not too long until i next see friends and family, that i have a good career in my future."

Jim, aged 46 said:
"I live in hope everyday. that things will get better."

Gemma, aged 23:
"Hope is like praying in a way for me like i hope i pass uni, it is like wishing in a way. I hope my son grows into a decent man. It is like a deep meaningful wish. Hope could also be like salvation the hope to be saved. Hope can be expressed by running your hands through your hair, over your eyes if something bad has happened such as you hope someone will survive. The body language is usually stressed."

I always have hope, it is what keeps me going. I either hope for the same thing everyday or something a little different. Without hope i would not be determined enough or motivated to work towards my goals. I need hope to persuade myself that all my hard work will pay off one day. I hope that i will get a good career, in the future i will have a loving husband and beautiful children and hope that my family and friends live long fullfilling lives. Some of the little things i have hoped for in the past have been for certain people to settle their differences, to have a good year filled with luck and happiness and to try something new.

Hope can be applied to a number of scenarios, it is like a wish but something realistic that you strive towards to be able to succeed. some examples are:
Hoping someone gets well soon.
That you or someone else gets a job they have applied for.
Receiving a bit of good luck. (karma?)
To find a partner you are compatible with.
Doing well in exams.
To be able to see someone more often.



More views on hope for people who may have experienced a disaster of some sort.



This clip is able to show how powerful some editing with music and film media can be to make people hope. There are others and longer versions of this clip.


Children displaying hope through their eyes and facial expressions.


In this clip Alex the lion is displaying despair hoping that the circus animals will help him and his friends. This is shown through his eyes quite a lot and his mouth, the way it tenses up when he purses his lips.


I love how he treats the plant like a baby in this clip and his hope is expressed through joy.





No comments:

Post a Comment